This bibliography includes resources that informed the 1999 study, Animating Democracy: The Artistic Imagination as a Force in Civic Dialogue and other resources.
- "Arts Partners: Presenters, Artists and Communities Invest in the Future of the Arts." Inside Arts. February/March 1995, pp. 8-25.
- Carbonneau, Suzanne. "A Momentary Order: In Maine, A Dance Project Celebrates a Scorned Heritage." Inside Arts. February/March 1995, pp. 37-43.
- Keens William and Naomi Rhodes. An American Dialogue. Washington, D.C.: Association of Performing Arts Presenters, 1989.
- Rhodes, Naomi. 21 Voices: The Art of Presenting the Performing Arts. Washington D.C.: Association of Performing Arts Presenters, 1990.
- Ruffins, Faith Davis. "Mythos, Memory, and History: African American Preservation Efforts, 1820-1990." In Museums and Communities: The Politics of Public Culture. edited by Ivan Karp, Christine Mullen Kreamer, and Steven D. Lavine. Washington, D.C.: Smithsonian Institution, 1992.
- Schulman, David. "A Rich Vein: In West Virginia Mine Country, A Composer Creates a Work that Delineates a Community's Life." Inside Arts. February/March 1995, pp. 32-36.